About Hayfever

Hayfever has become increasingly common in the UK, affecting one in five people. Hayfever is an allergic reaction to pollen (plants, trees or grass) and mould or fungal spores. Contact of the pollen or spores with your eyes, nose or mouth triggers an allergic chemical response (the release of histamine) which causes a variety of symptoms.

Hayfever symptoms

Common hayfever symptoms include:

  • Itchy, sore or watery eyes
  • Runny nose
  • Sneezing
  • Blocked nose or sinuses

Hayfever can also affect your sense of smell, cause facial pain, sweats and headaches. If you suffer from asthma it can also make your asthma symptoms worse.

Everyone's hayfever is different. You might only have a few sniffles or watery eyes early in the morning during high summer, but symptoms can affect your normal day-to-day activities.

Untreated, hayfever can affect your summer plans, keeping you indoors on precious sunny days when the pollen count is high.

You may find your hayfever occurs at different times of the year to your friends, or lasts longer. This is down to the type of pollen or spores that trigger your allergy. Trees, flowers and grasses all release pollen into the air, with varying peak release periods. Even the spores released by fungi (mushrooms and mould) can cause hayfever symptoms in some sufferers. Take a look at the pollen calendar to see when different types of pollen occur.

Hayfever remedies

Happily, Opticrom Hayfever Eye Drops help provide hayfever relief. Use them to help relieve the symptoms of hayfever eyes in as little as two minutes, making hayfever season more manageable.

If you suffer symptoms every year, you will soon learn when you are most affected and the type(s) of pollen that trigger your hayfever. If you are unsure, why not take our quick quiz to help identify your allergy.

Knowing when and what triggers your hayfever means you can be ready with treatments such as Opticrom Hayfever Eye Drops when your hayfever symptoms develop.

Hayfever tends to be more common in those who suffer (or suffered from) asthma or eczema, or who have a family history of hayfever. It can affect both children and adults, and start in either childhood or adulthood.

If you think you or a family member may be suffering from hayfever, speak to your GP or pharmacist who will be able to help diagnose your allergy and give you additional advice. See also our tips on coping with hayfever.